SCCM Client push installation fails with “Failed to check url…” Error

Today i ran into a little problem in a customers SCCM environment. A colleague wanted to reinstall his SCCM Agent because it was not behaving as it should and noticed that the client push, he initiated did not work… so I had a look at the “CCMsetup.log”.

The log showed this

ClientInstallError_01_CMTrace_InstallError

…every 10 minutes or so.

So I started to check the network connection to the management point, checked in SCCM for some problems and checked that IIS is running on the management point. Everything seemed ok…at first sight.

After I expanded the “Sites” node in the  IIS Manager I noticed that the “CCM_Client” WebApp was missing from the list of WebApps. This causes the client to fail, because the website simply does not exist. The Website is automatically created during the management point setup or the initial SCCM setup. I found that quite odd, because the client deployment was working a 100% the week before.

This is a healthy looking list

ClientInstallError_02_IIS_WebApps

So I just created a new WebApp with the name CCM_Client and configured it to run on the CCM Client Deployment Pool and pointed it to this local folder “C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\Client” and thought HA! this should fix it…

ClientInstallError_03_IISWebAppSettings

It didn’t…

IIS was not able to access the folder, so i checked the folder and somehow it did not have the correct rights. Why and how this has been misconfigured, I do not know…little Goblins maybe. Then I tried adding the correct rights to the folder

ClientInstallError_05_ClientRights

Again…no luck, somehow it would not work.

As always, before doing something like this make a backup of your SCCM. 

So as a last resort I simply removed (uninstalled) the management point role from the primary site server and reinstalled the management point again. If you have just one MP SCCM will prompt you, that this is the last MP are you really sure? Until you finished the reinstallation of the MP, all clients won’t be able to communicate with the SCCM site.

During the uninstallation all MP related Websites will be removed from the IIS and recreated again in the installation, and the correct rights on all MP related folders will be fixed as well.

I am sure that I could have fixed this in another way, but reinstalling the MP saved me some time. It took about 10 minutes..

Afterwards make sure that all clients are able to communicate with the MP!

I hope this helps you guys save some time.

Cheers Philipp

2 thoughts on “SCCM Client push installation fails with “Failed to check url…” Error

  1. Hi! This post could not be written any better! Reading this post reminds me of my
    previous room mate! He always kept chatting about this.
    I will forward this post to him. Fairly certain he will have a good read.
    Many thanks for sharing!

Leave a Reply to xxx Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *